Thursday, February 28, 2008

Birkebeiner Rookies


With the 35th Birkebeiner around the corner, I flew down to Wisconsin to compete in the race along with my mother, brother, sister and soon to be sister in law, Heidi. The Conditions for the race were premier and the field of nearly 7000 competitors were welcomed by cheering spectators on our way towards the finish line on Main Street in downtown Hayward.

This years rookie class: Myself, Heidi, Danielle,Nathan and Mary Ann.

I really enjoyed the race and finished in the top 20% in the classic division but my brother stole the show by blowing away the competition in the Carhartt class.


Danielle finishes her first ski race.

Ma hardly broke a sweat on the trail.

We were fortunate enough to stay with Heidi’s parents at their cabin on Island Lake in Northern WI. My brother Nathan and I got out ice fishing a couple times and had a few crappies flopping on the ice after each outing.



Once the race weekend came to an end we traveled south, I got to spend some time with my Pa and Katz at the Home Farm. I did not have much time, but we made the most of it. We played some ping-pong, kept the horses fed, poured some cement in the basement remodel job, got out on a great pheasant hunt, and caught up with friends and other family members.

I even shot straight for a change!

Nugget made several nice retrieves througout the day and we ended up with 9 nice roosters.

No comments: